Sunday, December 04, 2005

Muktuk

I had the distinct priviledge to taste muktuk tonight. Two kinds actually, regular and boiled.

I found this at some website:

Muktuk

Muktuk is a nourishing delicacy of the Canadian North (make sure you write down this recipe): Take the outer covering of the whale. Peel off the white skin, approximately 1-2 inches thick, plus a thin pinkish layer immediately underneath. After taking blocks from the whale, leave 2 days hanging to dry. Cut into pieces 6 x 6 inches. Have water ready to boil. Cook until it tests tender when pierced with a fork. Keep in oil in a 45 gallon drum after it is cooled. Store in a cool place and you will have muktuk all year. (Most Inuit prefer to eat muktuk raw, as it has tender-crisp texture and tastes like fresh coconut)

The regular was a bit chewy. I don't know how to describe it really. At the potluck tonight were muktuk and several other native dishes. I had some kind of innard meat, I could tell, in one of the mixed rice dishes. I could feel the texture that I remember from England's steak and kidney pies. The boiled muktuk wasn't too bad actually. It tasted a lot like calamari only a little more fishy. They say you only have boiled muktuk when it is super fresh.

No comments: