Thursday, December 22, 2005

Supermarket

We used to joke when I was in high school that the supermarket we worked at, Art's Supermart in Sandwich, Illinois, was one of the nexus of the universe. It seemed that everybody worked there at some point (four of my five immediate family members did) and that we would constantly be going back there. We could take off for sports and Art's would let us come back. We could come back from college and Art's would let us work. I could probably go back now.

Yesterday was the final day of school before the PC winter break (remember, it's not Christmas Break anymore). Amy signed me up to work a couple of days at Hanson's Safeway store here in Nome. I worked 8 to 4 today just stocking shelves for $10 an hour. Not bad. Easy money.

I can't believe the flood of memories that returned. I worked for Art's from the summer of 1988 when I was 15 to about 1994, if memory serves. Even the music sounded as if it came out of that 1990 era: I had my fill today of Chicago love songs, Rick Astley, and Taylor Dayne. If I had heard Wilson Phillips, I would have made them change the station. I felt like I was 16 or 17 again, running down the aisles with boxes and carts. I even remembered to face the products (what we at Art's called "blocking").

The best part of all of this, as I told the people that recognized me from school and wondered if I had left the school or something, is that I get to keep this paycheck all to myself. I always joke that I don't know what color money is. My check gets directly deposited and Amy takes what the household needs. It's great, actually, because I have told her not to give me money. I spend it. I spend it when I probably shouldn't and for frivolous things. Yeah, I could use another latte or I've been wanting that CD. If I have to ask, then that spending urge dies.

This is all fun money today.

When I started at Art's, I made $3.35 an hour, the minimum wage at the time. I eventually worked my way up to a whole $6.00 an hour there. But if I equate the pay then to now, and of course compare the price of comic books which is another way I judge time, then I can buy just the same amount of comic books.

No comments: