Sunday, December 04, 2005

Inupiat Heritage Center



This was a really nice place that they take a lot of pride in here in Barrow. Many native artifacts adorn the exhibits. Most of the concentration is put upon whaling and hunting in general. A big recreation of a whale greets you hanging from the ceiling. There is a step by step photo essay of a whale harvest.

I was the only one that went to the museum from Nome. The Kotzebue team went. Some of the girls had seen it before and some of them just plain weren't interested. They weren't going to charge us to get in as a team I found out but I gave them the whole $44 check that our school district gave us out of the volleyball fund. I felt that they deserved it more. Maybe you have to be older to truly appreciate these historical places. No, that isn't true because I remember loving Shakespeare's birthplace when my family went during high school. I remember being awed by history.

No comments: