Thursday, December 08, 2005

Anchorage, Alaska

We got to sleep in this morning. Ahhhhhh! How nice to sleep in a bed. Amy is having our bed and the girls' twin beds shipped in this month. Regular sleeping habits coming!

We went to the Dimond Mall today in Anchorage. I tell ya, I think Anchorage is just like a mega-Naperville or a mega-Bremerton. It's all here. It's almost too busy for me anymore, if you can believe that. This is the first time I have seen a red light since we moved to Alaska in August. If this is the only Alaska you ever see, it is not really Alaska. It is very much indoctrinated with the Lower 48, as they are called here.

I picked up a couple of outfits for Madison from Old Navy. I had to get two because of a pricing situation. Get this: I wanted one fleece hoodie for $10 and I wanted the fleece pants that matched. The pants, though, were either $9.50 for one or two for $10.00. And the sign specifically said you had to buy two to get the discount. I went again and got two, two different colors and then I also got another fleece hoodie to match. I guess that's how they get me. They had me buy two outfits instead of one.

I was also able to pick up a couple of Superman comics. All right!

The weather here is rainy and about 40 degrees. The snow on the ground is melting, slushing, and icing up. Vanessa fell on her tailbone in the parking lot due to ice. This is what I remember from Chicago--the snow is nice at times but it always turns to this crap once it gets warm. I think it snowed a total of ten inches the whole six years I lived in the Seattle area, and it never gets warm enough in Nome to ever melt. The funny thing is that there is a winter snap in the Midwest right now and it is actually warmer in Nome and Anchorage than it is in Somonauk, the town I grew up in.

The girls play tonight at 5:30 against Hoonah. Their big player won the Golden Spike award last night so we will have to watch out for her. We gotta hit the sidelines and corners and score our points. We can do this.

No comments: