Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Salary and college credit

My salary raise was approved! They have to have all the original transcripts from all of my institutions and they didn't review them until December. I had to pay $5 apiece for some of the transcripts. At least I had it approved.

I realize when I have to get all these official transcripts that I have spent a lot of time in college.

I spent my first struggling year at Northern Illinois University because I thought it was better than community college, and it was less than a half hour's drive from my folks' house. I was a small fish in a big pond. $5 transcript. And I didn't even graduate from there.

My second year of college, a real struggle with finding myself that year, I transferred to Waubonsee Community College in Sugar Grove, Illinois, almost at the last minute. I was able to get a handle on things and received much better grades. I finally started making the Dean's List after being Salutatorian in high school. I never before struggled with grades. Waubonsee saved me.

I was able to go away to school for my third year, even though I was scared. I was afraid that I would fail again, like I almost did at Northern. Luckily, Jeremy Britt, my best friend back then took me in as a roommate in the dorms at Western Illinois University in Macomb, Illinois. My fourth year I lived solo in the dorms and got my Bachelor's degree. I spent one extra semester in student teaching at West Aurora High School.

One thing of note: all these classes that I took made me graduate with 149 credits when I only needed 120 to graduate.

After my Bachelor's, I did not go into teaching right away. Long story. I eventually went to DeVry Institute of Technology for a few semesters as I was trying to get a degree in computer information systems. I took classes like COBOL and statistics and accounting. Lots of value. I never finished that degree.

After moving to Seattle, City University was literally a nine iron shot away from my apartment. I went for one class in business administration towards a Master's degree until I was so disgruntled with that one class. I learned nothing but old Boeing stories. I was so upset that I told the counselor off.

Now I am working towards a Master's degree in my first love, English. Thank God Amy made me start. I almost didn't want to. I am so glad I am almost done too. This is with National University online so I do not have the seat time. It's wonderful.

That's a lot of college. At least with teaching, I am almost guaranteed salary advancement with college credit. If I continue on for my doctorate in English, which I really really want to, I will get higher on the salary steps.

No comments: