Monday, January 22, 2007

They've found me...

Uh-oh. They know I am out here in cyberspace.

It's my fault actually. I gave the kids a worksheet today to do after they typed up their final drafts on their descriptive essay (reminds me so much of the essay Stradlater tries to get Holden to write in The Catcher in the Rye). The worksheet asked them to find some meaning behind their names and their surroundings. They had to look up the origins of both of their names and also look up how their town got its name. "Nome" brought up The Butcher Shop in Google. It was all downhill from there.

First of all, I will probably bore the heck out of them here. They may want to see a few pictures of their dork teacher but that gets old fast. Secondly, I don't know if I ever wanted them to see it in the first place.

I knew that eventually kids would see it. It isn't hard with everything that is online. Sooner or later, someone was going to come to me and say they saw pictures and read something by me.

So, if any one of you kids is out there right now...all I say is: "Start your own blog!" Write. Keep writing. Keep thinking and putting your ideas onto the page. Write about anything you want, anything in the world. Just write and think, think and write.

I was never able to keep a paper-and-pencil journal or diary. Never. I would try for a week and then forget about it. It must have had something to do with the publication factor of things. With a journal, no one would ever read it; I had no audience whatsoever. The audience is me? No, that didn't work for me. But a blog has kept me writing. Yes, the audience is still me for a very large part, I'll admit. However, there is the factor of publishing and making it look nice before hitting that "publish" button that makes it seem like I am doing something more.

If the kids read it, they'll just find out more of my idiosyncracies and geekness. That's okay. Hopefully, it makes me a bit more human. And that's what the blog is for, to share that human experience.

No comments: