Monday, July 03, 2006


I recently read a couple of new Fantastic Four comics and found myself questioning the age limit of comics. Now I know that review is even more well-founded because the newest issues just blew my mind away. I was able to pick these beauties up from the AC grocery store.

Fantastic Four #537 is part of "The Road to Civil War" comics crossover from Marvel. It has a fantastic cover of Doctor Doom triumphantly raising Thor's hammer Mjolnir over the unconscious bodies of the Fantastic Four. Inside, it got even better. The story was great. Doom relates the story of how he escaped the confines of Hell with the rift that Ragnarok caused. Then Doom has an opportunity to retrieve the hammer of Thor as the FF try to stop him. It was very well done. Ingenious and crafty. And the art by penciler Mike McKone is absolutely phenomenal and breathtaking to look at.

In fact, the only negative that I would give to the issue is that there is not a single mention anywhere that no mortal but Thor has the ability to lift the hammer. I only know that from my years of comics reading. It needed a text box or a brief bit of dialogue...something. Just one little mention. Especially when The Thing tries to lift the hammer. All in all, it's an A+ book. For some reason, I have been looking at comics lately from the perspective of the new kid reading them. If I were that new kid picking this up, I would miss that little bit and not fully understand.

To be continued...

No comments: