Friday, April 08, 2005

Napster is a bust

Unfortunately, I must not have read the fine print. Apparently Napster's two seek trial only lets you listen to the music. The files are disabled from burning to CD in any way. Boy I wish I had known that--anybody know if you can get around this loophole?

I'm not paying for the tracks for the privilege of burning them, unless there is one single specific song I wanted. 99 cents per track is outrageous. I would buy the CD, for the hard copy, the one to leave on the shelf. You can always rip songs to MP3 format if you need them but you can't go back to that master copy. I did buy an old song a couple of weeks ago of of iTunes, Del Amitri's "Kiss This Thing Goodbye." I didn't want the whole CD and that was the best way to get it anyway since I was burning it to a compilation of my favorites.

So I thought I could download a ton during my two week trial. I realized that I just wasted a ton of time.

No comments: