Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Indy 4

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/news20070206.html
Indy Rides Again in May 2008February 06, 2007

Star Wars fans have long thought of May as the birth-month of their beloved saga, and in 2008, they'll be welcoming a globetrotting archeologist to the party. While May 2007 marks the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, May 2008 marks the return of Indiana Jones in the fourth feature film reuniting Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford and George Lucas. Paramount has just announced the worldwide release date of Indy 4, so mark your calendars now: Thursday, May 22, 2008. Stay on top of the latest Indy announcements by checking out .

Wow, oh wow! I have been waiting for this through speculation and rumor for years! This one is just as big to me as anything Star Wars had on me for the new trilogy.

Indiana Jones has always been a hero of mine. The very first videotape, and yes I specifically remember, I ever watched at home was RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK rented at VIDEO 10 in Bolingbrook, Illinois. It was Beta! That summer of '84 when Dad took us kids to see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was amazing. I was 11 and that Short Round character played by that Ke Huy Quan from GOONIES was perfect. Remember the tagline: "If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones!" It was a great movie. I had and actually subscribed to the Indiana Jones comic book from Marvel. Of all the comics I chose to subscribe to, it was Indiana Jones. X-Men came later. I remember getting Indiana Jones #7 from that fat guy from a Chicago comics shop, the name escapes me, who also ran a booth at the flea market the family would go to every Sunday near Bolingbrook. That really helped me get into comics.

Digression: Speaking of that comics booth at the flea market, I will hate myself for saying this. The guy would recognize me from week to week because I always bought one of something. When the new Indiana Jones wasn't out, I bought something else. One week, he tried to peddle on me THE MAN OF STEEL #1 by John Byrne that took place after CRISIS where DC completely revamped the Superman mythos. I remember saying no. I kick myself now. I actually asked in its place for SON OF AMBUSH BUG #2 from DC, a Keith Giffen comic. I liked Giffen more than Superman back then!

Matt Adrian and I, way back in 1989, took a special Wednesday afternoon trip to see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when it opened. I remember buying the videotape (and I still have it!) of the movie when it came out at Omni Superstore in Aurora, Illinois with a check, one of the first that I had ever written. Man, the stuff we remember about incidental trivial nonsense!

So INDY 4 is a big deal to me. I always wondered why they wouldn't continue the series. It was guaranteed to bring in big bucks. I believe they could continue the series even, possibly with new actors a la James Bond. But who could take the place of Harrison Ford in that role?

No comments: