Monday, February 28, 2005

The Darkness / Superman comic: A Review

Admittedly, I don't know much about Top Cow Productions. I do see from the indicia that they are some kind of Image Comics imprint. You know what that means to me? Great artists thinking they can get away with drawing fricking anything and we will buy it, regardless of the story. That's what I thought Top Cow was.

Well, I still do. I picked up this comic ONLY because it was Superman. I was pleasantly surprised however. This was a two-issue limited series.

Ron Marz, who I liked for what he did for Crossgen Comics, wrote this story that could probably have fit into one issue had they left out those five-page previews of something called Hunter Killer. Seeing this as a Superman fan was kind of cool. It was seeing a new antagonist for Superman and how he handled it. I wonder what The Darkness fans thought (is there such a thing as The Darkness fans)?

The interesting item was again one of the things I really like about cool villains: you can see the villain's point of view. Apparently this character called The Darkness (I have no idea, so don't ask) is some kind of mafia hitman that thinks he can go into Metropolis, take over the family, and lead Metropolis crime peacefully. Superman and The Darkness have to come to a mutual cooperation to stop Metallo before they fight.

I won't go into exploring The Darkness or Top Cow, but I liked this for its treatment of my favorite, Superman. It was worth the price of admission.

No comments: