Monday, February 28, 2005

The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty

As of today, issue number 7 is out, so don't look at the Beckett Comics website as it is apparently a month behind on its own comics.

You can view online all of issue #1 here: ISSUE #1.

I have been really enjoying this comic. Thank goodness for free comic book day back in July. I love the art work and the fast paced storytelling. I feel that the mystery is just deepening and I really care about these characters. That's why I am sorry to see it go. The caption under the last panel of this issue reads, "Next: The journey ends!"

I don't know why that seems a shock to me. The characters have finally reached their destination and the climactic final battle looms. It has to end here, yet I feel a loss that these characters will not continue. Maybe if they had slapped an "Eight Issue Limited Series" at the top I would not be feeling so disappointed.

But this is a good disappointment. With the debacle that is Devil's Due Publishing and the lack of commitment on their Voltron and Micronauts titles, and the debacle that ended up being Crossgen Comics just up and folding, trying anybody but the big two is hard. I just feel with this series that Beckett is committed to the storytelling and not the buck.

I will look deeper into Beckett Comics. I already see an ad for next free comic book day on something called Ronin Hood of the Samurai. Definitely.

(And Beckett actually answered one of my emails that I sent them just saying what a great comic this Sleeping Beauty was. That's cool.)

No comments: