Tuesday, May 27, 2008

That closet of junk could be worth big money someday


I like toys. I grew up playing with Star Wars, He-Man, G.I. Joe and lots of others. I distinctly remember purchasing most of them and have some stories.
Too bad I don't still have them all.
We didn't know. We didn't know that we would wish we had them again at the age of 35, or that they would be worth big money.
I subscribe to a few toy email lists (because I buy from Entertainment Earth and Brian's Toys every so often). I came across this one from Premier Collectibles of old Nintendo games.
An original The Legend of Zelda still in the box and shrinkwrapped is auctioning for a starting bid of $500.
If I had known...
But we don't know. That's why they are worth so much now...because we played with them.
Sure I remember that family trip to Wisconsin when I was young. My whole cadre of Star Wars figures was left momentarily on the back bumper of the car. I didn't know that Uncle David would drive away with them, unknowingly scattering them all over the roads of Wisconsin. When he came back, only Princess Leia was left. Somehow, her arm hooked into the bumper. It was my own fault. But those figures helped me pass several hours riding in that car.
I remember the hours I spent beating The Legend of Zelda. I even beat it the second time around--those that played know how the game kind of repeated itself with a new quest but with slight differences. The game would be nowhere near as nostalgic had I never played it and enjoyed it. And nobody would buy two, one to keep and one to open.
This happens a lot lately. I have to remember that I like figures and playing with them. I remember eagerly seeking out the medical droid 2-1B from Empire--who would have thunk that that unopened package now goes for a minimum of $200.
I do buy new figures an leave them carded and unopened on the shelf. These are for me though, that sense of nostalgia I get from them, even the new ones. They aren't worth much now. They may be in time for my kids or grandkids (Zelda came out in 1987 and now, 21 years later, is worth $500, although that does appear to be better than 10% annual return) to cash in on them.
However, I hope that they keep some of them, put them on the shelf, and say it was mine.
Hilariously, while cleaning up Madison's room yesterday, Amy and I were going through the closet and all the toy pieces and naked Barbies. I didn't want to throw anything away. Could some of this stuff be important to her 20+ years from now? If I still had those He-Man figures instead of selling them away at a garage sale...I remember selling Castle Grayskull for $4.
But I also remember waking up that Christmas morning and seeing Castle Grayskull under the tree. Mom and Dad splurged for that big ticket item that year. I loved it and it was part of all my He-Man adventures that still make up a part of me.
That's the real value of these toys and collectibles.

No comments: