Friday, May 09, 2008

Math Facts

The end of the 2007-2008 school year is winding down. I am ready for summer, just one of the perks and benefits of being a teacher. I think we will save a ton of money this summer on GAS and daycare for Madison. It will be like earning extra money.

Anyway, yesterday the seniors are working on their Senior Memory Books, their last project for English IV. It's a nice scrapbook-like memoir for them to keep.

There are a total of 17 chapters, ranging over most of their lives. One of the students was writing on the early grades, saying she always had trouble with multiplication. I jokingly asked, "Quick--what's 8 times 7?"

"I don't know," she said.

I stood, mouth agape, waiting for an answer. She repeated, "I don't know. I'd have to do it."

I waited a moment then responded, "You are graduating high school next week and you don't know what 8 times 7 is?"

The girl next to her said, "Sevens are tough."

No comments: