Friday, May 30, 2008

Some Movies

I found an incredible $5 dvd at Wal-Mart--or a set of three dvds with ten movies on them. It is some Detective movie 10 pack featuring Sherlock Holmes, Dick Tracy, Bulldog Drummond, and one Mr. Moto, starring the inimitable Peter Lorre.
These are old 40s classics at their best. Cool little mysteries with plenty of intrigue. I loved the Dick Tracy movies. Those were cool. The Sherlock Holmes were good too. I had a bit of trouble with Mr. Moto's Last Warning at first though. This was one of a series, and not the first one in the series. I knew just by the star Peter Lorre that he was Mr. Moto, but there was a double in the beginning that made me wonder what was up. It seems that this is a case of that pre-knowledge exposition. You know that Clark Kent is Superman without them telling you...I guess in the 40s you knew Mr. Moto was with the international police with these box office favorite movies without them telling you. However, since this was my first Mr. Moto, I needed to be told. I caught on pretty quickly and it all fell together into a rather remarkable plot to start a world war.

Good stuff.

Sherlock Holmes: Terror By Night
Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon
Sherlock Holmes: Dressed to Kill
Bulldog Drummond's Revenge
Bulldog Drummond Escapes
Bulldog Drummon in Africa
Dick Tracy versus Cueball
Dick Tracy, Detective
Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome
Mr. Moto's Last Warning

No comments: