Friday, August 10, 2007

Crayola is Cool

Last week I bought Madison some of that new Crayola Color-Wonder stuff at the Target store. Unfortunately, I got pissed because she ran out of the color fingerpaint stuff before the Winnie the Pooh coloring book it came with was done. She only completed like three pages before she ran out of stuff. So I wrote a letter and mailed it to the company:


August 4, 2007


Dear Crayola,


Just today, I purchased a Disney Winnie the Pooh Mess Free Color Wonder Fingerpaints kit, UPC #071662121372, at a Target store today. While it is a fantastic product, and the idea and use is excellent, I am quite dismayed by the meager amount of fingerpaints in the kit.


There are six little cups of the mess free fingerpaints. My four-year-old daughter, Madison, used ¾ of the pink on one little picture of Piglet. There was enough for one more picture. I was right there with her, trying to help her pace her use of the product. She did not excessively overuse the product. She used exactly what I would consider a four-year-old little girl to use.


Isn’t that who the product is directed towards? I am quite upset now that my daughter is out of the fingerpaint product but she still has 20 of the 24 pictures left to fingerpaint. She doesn’t understand and now she is crying because I am the mean father and will not run out to the store to buy her more right away. Honestly, I shouldn’t have to run right out and buy more. There should have been enough fingerpaint in the kit to last for the booklet.


I demand a couple of new fingerpaints in order for her to finish this book. Please write me back and let me know how you will rectify my little girl’s broken heart.


Okay, I'll admit it was a bit over-the-top. However, I wanted to tell them how simply disappointed I was. I mean, it cost $6.99!


Just today, FedEx came to the door with a package from Smith-Binney, the company that runs Crayola.


The letter that came with it stated:
Dear Matt:
Thank you for your recent inquiry.
I am sorry to learn of your experience with a Crayola(R) product that was less than perfect. We are grateful for your feedback, as it helps us understand how we can improve our products. Your comments are valued and will be shared with our Quality Assurance team.
We are eager to restore your confidence in our brand. Please accept the enclosed product(s) for your daughter, Madison, to complete fingerpainting the pictures in her book. Also enclosed is a complimentary coupon you may use towards the purchase of any Crayola product. If additional assistance is needed, you may reach us by telephone...blah blah contact info blah.
Colorfully yours,
Name
I thought that this was extremely nice. This clearly rectifies the problem and restores my faith in the company as one that cares. I just hope they put more fingerpaint "goo" in the new products.
The power of the pen. Writing letters and actually mailing them shows seriousness. Let this be a lesson: never take it lying down--write a letter and tell companies what you think. I think, of all the letters I have ever written, 99% have given me something to cheer about.

No comments: