Monday, October 02, 2006





I find it amazing some of the stuff I look up online. A year or more ago, I looked up the old video game console known as Intellivision. It has quite a fan following still. The Blue Sky Rangers, the programmers of the games in the 1980s, still have a website that puts out content. I had all the Intellivision games as a kid. With the influx of those plug n' play systems and the release of some on XBOX and Gamecube discs, I knew it would only be a matter of time for the release of my favorite game of all time: Tron Deadly Discs!

Although, they reprogrammed it a little to get rid of the "Tron" name as Disney wouldn't let them keep the rights to it. Same goes for their cartridge known as Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. They reworked them to get rid of those messy copyright infringements.

So I was excited when I got one of the email newsletters from Intellivision stating that they had this plug n' play system that goes right into the TV. Most of all, it has Tron Deadly Discs, now known only as Deadly Discs. I am so psyched! I haven't played since I was a kid, although I remember playing it once at college with a friend who still had the old console.

It is the simplest game, yet the one with the most complex intricacies. You play as a gladiator trapped in the game with nothing but a disc like a frisbee that you can throw at the bad guys who come after you. The disc then returns to you. Watch out because you only can be hit by the bad guy discs a couple times or you are erased. It is fun to pretend that you are a prisoner of some kind of futuristic gladiatorial ring, where you have to fight for your freedom. At least, that's what I used to play.

The game system should be here any day now. TRON!

No comments: