Saturday, November 26, 2005

Narnia and my childhood


When the new movie based on The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe comes out, I will feel like I am a kid again. This was the first series that I ever read and it affected everything I did.

I remember playing with action figures that went to an alternate world that did not have time move at the same pace as our reality. The funny thing was that the action figures were an Ewok (I think it was Wicket) from the Star Wars line and Indiana Jones from the Temple of Doom action figure series. That Indy was an oversized figure from what I remember. I think I had him find the Ewok in the alternate universe and then they had adventures to try to return to his real world. It was a way that I could use my cool Indy figure when I didn't have any others of the series with all the mishmash of figures I had from other collections. I remember Go-Bots and Transformers playing with 'em too.

But I also remember the way this series opened my eyes to imagination. The third book in the series, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, really stuck with me for a long time. Gosh, I feel like a kid again talking about it. I remember my He-Man figures having this dimensional portal, sort of like in The Magician's Nephew. All of these movies based on stuff from my childhood are coming out because they finally have the technology to do things with this much imagination.

That reminds me about what I really want for Christmas: a Go-Bot watch. It was just this simple digital watch where it popped off and the arms and legs folded out and the head flipped out. He was the leader of my Transformers, if you can believe that.

No comments: