Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Fried Walrus Liver


"Slicing through the skin is tough," said Kurtis Kemp, who was a crewmember on one of the Dillingham teams that hunted three walrus on Round Island last month. "They'll dull your knife real quick."

Fried Walrus Liver

1 pound walrus liver, cut into thick slices
1 cup flour
Salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste
Oil

Put liver slices in a paper bag with flour and seasonings and shake until all slices are covered with flour. Fry in hot oil for 15 minutes. Ground walrus liver makes exceptional burgers!

This comes from The Bristol Bay Times of October 6, 2005. You may remember that I posted another picture of walrus hunting last month. I had to go do a quick radio interview on KDLG for the volleyball on Sunday and they had old papers in there. I saw this old paper from last month, as I love to look through local papers. I saw a page on walrus recipes. I will also be typing up the others. I am filled with wonder at these traditions that are still viable and alive. The article says, "Today, when walrus is eaten, many people feel a connection with tradition and the past."

No comments: