Thursday, October 06, 2005

Nome vs Kotzebue pregame

We practiced at the Rec Center this morning. The AD and maintenance have jury-rigged the net system for this weekend. The Rec Center did agree to get floor mounts for the volleyball poles and those will be installed by our next home game on October 28, the Mixed 6 Tournament.

I think we are ready to play. I've been asking around and apparently last year was a bad year for the team. They didn't win any games and morale was really low. I have been concentrating on making it fun. Players will play. I apparently am against the grain in thinking that Junior Varsity and Varsity should only play the best players. No. Thank goodness my assistant coach, Susan, and I both have the same philosophy. It's about having fun and working hard. Players will play. I think it is important to know that after the starting six, the benchwarmers know that they will get to play and start the second game. It is great for morale. There is no fun to sitting on a bench. I do not want them to think that I have favorites because I don't. Junior Varsity is all about playing to get better for next year. Varsity is all about pride and knowing that you gave it your all. This is a team sport. I wouldn't have kept twelve girls if I were not going to play them.

The girls seem to be a little wary of my "keep it simple" approach. I have not drawn up any plays or switching. I believe that, since they rotate anyway, each girl is responsible for her one-sixth of the floor. It may prove this weekend that some players need to be back row versus front row, but you know what?--I want them to find that out in the first game. Plus, I don't want to take away a girl's favorite area of the court. I have two shorter girls who have this amazing jump shot thing where they hit the ball late on a spike, after the blockers have fallen down. They deserve front row too. And that's how you get better. Everybody can handle the individual situations and get better.

I also don't plan on doing a lot of substituting. Unless they need a breather or something, I believe that that particular team of six girls work better together because they get used to each other on the court. I don't sub out for bad plays either. I have seen mistakes happen but I have also seen the girl that makes a mistake come right back and make a super play to make up for it. That's the pride thing.

All in all, this is about fun, isn't it? I want these girls to come away from this season knowing that they had lots of time playing and that they gave it their best. If I can do that and keep it light and fun, then I will have done my job.

No comments: