Friday, September 16, 2005

Sin City and Constantine

Amy graciously rented two comic book movies for me this last weekend. Sin City and Constantine. I finally got around to watching them. And you know the really terrible part? I saw them only on my TV screen.

I've never really been one for the "theater experience." Yes, there are some movies that have loud explosions but I find that sometimes in a theater they are loud just to be loud. I find it a waste of time seeing a comedy of some simple drama on the big screen--where's the real image, the real payoff? I am so used to watching movies on TV now that I haven't minded much. Sure, when Star Wars got remastered with that new footage, I went to see all three of them again in the theater. Those are images. I remember watching Batman in 1989 in the Countryside Theater in Yorkville, Illinois, and that was awesome because the movie was NEVER the same on VHS (you cannot watch it during the day or with any lights, period).

I think I missed out on these two very visual movies. I really enjoyed the innovation of the Sin City movie. That was breathtaking in some spots. It was basically three movies in one with the storyline crossovers, but it was good. As Amy said, "It's a comic book on the screen." Constantine was really entertaining too. I love the storyline, about the mythology of the angels and the demons. And I really enjoyed the ending. The comic book adaptation that I bought when the movie came out didn't do it justice. The movie was scary and fascinating.

No comments: