Friday, September 09, 2005

Random thoughts

One of the tough things about seventh and eighth grade is that there is really no buy-in with the tough students. It's not like they need the class for credit. And remember how it all seemed so long? I remember thinking I would never get out of high school--FOUR years? Now it seemed a flash in the pan. So in eighth grade, if you were a difficult student anyway, why should you want to pass?

We sat through and cringed through the horrible movie ALEXANDER last night. When they were done making that film, doesn't anyone sit around and watch it, somebody knew, and say, "That's crap." I said in one of my previous posts that I could save Hollywood. Someone HAS to watch these stinking movies before just releasing them to us. It may have been better, but it had no focus. They portrayed probably the greatest king of all time as a little wuss. "When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer." No, he was crying because he was a little baby as portrayed in that movie. (Were they trying to show how he was getting parental approval on both sides? One day he's cool with them, the next he is spitting at them. And why, oh why did the storyline flashback and flash forward in the weirdest places?) I just don't understand the movie.

The sun isn't rising as early anymore here in Nome. It still stays up kind of late, later than what I've been used to. The clock marks your days here, not the sun.

I have to read THE VOLLEYBALL COACH BIBLE this weekend and map out my strategy for the season and how practices are going to run. I know the basics of volleyball, but not the strategy yet. I feel like my daughter watching baseball--she knows the basic rules but not when to move the infield up, or how lefties play against righties. That's me right now. I have some learning to do. And I have to be an expert before practice begins on Sept. 19. Last year's "captain" came to introduce herself and told me to ask her any questions. I do not have just one captain. A new captain earns it every week by showing great stuff during the week. Most weeks will have a new captain for the games over the weekend. That keeps everybody working hard, not complacent.

Two girls came to introduce themselves for drama club yesterday too. I have to start that up too. I will be putting on a production sometime, hopefully a comedy. Someone tried to talk administration into adding debate and ?forensics? into drama club. Thankfully, I talked them out of it.

No comments: