Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Moose

Moose is big here. The moose season only lasts like two or three weeks and some kids have even missed some days of school for it. The reading teacher, Lynn, just let me have a piece of moose jerky. It was good, however, most jerky tastes the same to me, and I've had regular and deer jerky. That's my first piece of moose though.

I even found out that the teachers bring it to eat for lunch. Lynn had a moose tongue sandwich the other day. I wasn't grossed out, just never had it before. It's like saying steak and kidney pie in England. Wouldn't dream of telling anyone I ate cow kidney. She said it is the most tender meat she had ever had. She is going to bring me in a couple of steaks from last season that she has kept frozen. I can't wait to try it. My family probably won't eat it (unless I play the "don't tell them" game).

Hunting here is still sustenance for some families. Still absolute living sustenance. They do not do it for the game, they do it to survive. One girl in her paragraph today said how tired she was because they were out late hunting again.

No comments: