Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Rambling

It's warmer here in Nome today than it is in Illinois. It's 26 degrees and bright bright sunshine right now.

We are starting Brave New World with my senior class today. I actually spoke for 50 straight minutes discussing with the students some of the issues that pop up in the book. It's one of my favorites, ever since I had to read it for Mrs. Lehman's class. It is great to get mad and talk about ideas. This and Orwell's 1984 are great dystopian fiction that I believe everyone simply must read. As Isaac Asimov once said, "We write science fiction not only to predict the future but to prevent it."

The sophomores are writing persuasive essays now. Most chose the topic having electronic devices, especially iPods, in school. Wow. Informative, eh? I especially love the argument they use about using the devices during free time during the day. Tells you how much free time they get in school, doesn't it? The hours should be filled up.

I have to chaperone the Valentine's dance this Saturday night from 10 pm to 11:30. I don't really mind so much but I absolutely can't stand that music lately. I had to help chaperone two dances for the volleyball girls in Kotzebue and Bethel this year and had to plug my ears. There's only so much hip hop one can stand if it is not your favorite genre.

I am upbeat and happy lately. I am definitely on the up-cycle, seeing the bright side of life.

No comments: