Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Love Monkey


I watched the second episode of this new CBS show Love Monkey starring Tom Cavanagh tonight. It was by accident that I watched the pilot episode last week. I was at the computer and too distracted to change the channel. Then I started watching it. I am kind of enamored of this show.

Maybe it's the star, Tom Cavanagh. I'm not particularly fond of him, but somehow he has won me over. I liked him in Ed on NBC a few years ago (I started watching that show when we were on our West Wing kick and got into that show too, until the two leads fell for each other romantically). He's got a guy-next-door charm. He looks like an average guy, maybe because he isn't one of those pretty boys.

I somehow like the way that the dialogue is fast-paced. I admire that the show is actually based on a music producer and doesn't spend an inordinate amount of time talking about finding "the true love of your life." That's there only in passing. That does not consume the show. It has other influencing to do on you. It seems to be saying that there may be a little love involved later but only in small doses. I hope it keeps to that. That was what killed Ed. The show started acting like the romantic involvement of its characters was the only thing important in the universe.

It also has a message about good music. Ben Folds did a cameo appearance tonight, as did Leann Rimes. It talks intelligently about music. When they mention that one of Bob Dylan's best songs is "Visions of Johanna," it takes some musical IQ to know what they're talking about. (And it is a damn good song.)

So this show has me so far. Good thing is that it is on Tuesday nights after American Idol and there is nothing else to watch anyway. (Remember, we get into American Idol in this family, especially the first part of the season when they're making fun of people that can't sing. It cracks me up.) I will keep watching it.

No comments: