Sunday, May 01, 2005

RIF Worries

I am so scared over this RIF stuff (Reduction in Force). They'll make the official list of RIFed employees on Thursday.

I have started revamping my resume and filling out applications. Have you ever filled out a teacher application packet? It takes a good hour to get through it all and then to make sure all your necessary attachments are enclosed. At least the web is making some of it easier with online .pdf's of application packets. And rewording a cover letter for each district is so much easier with today's word processors. The lats packet I just finished for Central Kitsap School District was well over thirty pages. It has to include letters of recommendation, copy of certificate, copies of college transcripts (I had three for my undergrad), and other forms.

The worst of the forms requires triplicate. It's a new state-mandated form called the Sexual Misconduct Form. You have to enclose one for each school district you've worked in (and I've worked in three). I know they have to be careful but sheesh! They have to conduct each district you've worked in to see if there was anything filed away regarding sexually inappropriate behavior. This is another one of those signs of armageddon, if you ask me. I have to prove that I ahven't been accused of sexual misconduct. It's like being guilty first and then proving your innocence.

Also, there are specific forms for recommendations that have to be filled out by other teachers and supervisors. That's the hardest one because now I'm going to be going around with all of these forms (and each district needs several), asking if other teachers can fill out these forms. What an annoyance I will be on other teachers.

I'm taking tomorrow (Monday) off too. I still need to finish up my Professional Certificate presentation for May 9th and I want to get some more applications completed. I am feeling miserable when I go to work because of all this and wish I could take off more time. It's so hard to be in the classroom when I stand there thinking that I have more important stuff to be doing at home: my job search. It's that hierarchy of needs things. Things aren't perfect at home (Amy is still kinda freaked out by the whole thing) and I have to write paragraphs with ninth graders. Somehow the priorities are screwed.

At least they told me now, before May. School lets out here in Washington around June 22nd. That gives me some advance time. I am going to find out how many days I have left to take and take them all if my name is on that list on Thursday. Cross your fingers.

But it will be on the list. They always RIF more than they need RIFed and then hire back during the summer based on enrollment. Other teachers are telling me this but I simply can't wait.

Maybe this will require another BIG MOVE. Amy said she is up for it.

No comments: