Saturday, September 30, 2006

This week in life...

This was a long but good week.

Varsity volleyball is in full swing. I like how things are going. Interesting to note that some of the JV players came up to me this week, saying they missed me, and wishing that the JV coach made them do as many push ups as I made them do! They actually said that to me! One week from today, the Varsity and I will fly to Kotzebue to play, just above the Arctic Circle. I've flown to Kotzebue two or three times now, but never gotten off the plane as we waited on the tarmac to proceed to Nome. I'll finally set foot in Kotzebue.

Also, classes have been proceeding wonderfully. Amazingly, I haven't had any real discipline problems. I have only a handful of students that won't turn in their essays (that we worked on in class for a week, but I digress). With the sophomores, we just finished The Giver, a novel by Lois Lowry that I absolutely love. Love it so much now that I added up how many times I've read it, alone and in class to students now, a total of nine times. And it still gets me. With the seniors, we started our Shakespeare unit, focusing on Hamlet first. I am having a great time with the performance-based teaching of the play. I am only having a bad time getting the frickin TV to play the video with audio at the same time in my room. I like to show them a scene after we do the scene in class. We don't watch the movie straight through. I show them the Kenneth Branagh version, mostly.

Morgan and Madison and Amy are great. Busy but great. Morgan seems so...adult now. We went to the pool today, and Morgan helped out with Madison in the women's locker room, getting her ready. Madison is a daredevil and had a ton of fun in the pool.

Other than that, things are going great. We have a bake sale tomorrow at the AC for the Varsity team. We have to raise at least $300 more. I hope I'm not there all day. This is really my last weekend until volleyball is over. Games every weekend.

No comments: