Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Watch out for that first step...

Got some doozies to share today. I had them start with their entry task today to write a 6-8 sentence paragraph about their favorite commercial and why they liked it. I didn't know how hard that was going to be.

Many don't know exactly what a "sentence" is. (This is 7th and 8th graders, remember.) I had to argue all day with, "But I don't have a favorite commercial." I expanded the topic eventually to a favorite ANYTHING just to get something written down. I was told by one girl that she doesn't watch TV, listen to the radio, or read magazines at all. It's possible out here, I guess, although everything is here.

I thought about favorite commercial because it leads in well with the business unit where they are going to market a product of their own making. One pair decided to create "edipal glue" meaning "edible" but I joked that the glue had issues.

I have my work cut out for me. This is not just two preps, one for seventh and one for eighth. Each class is at a different level. It is more like six preps. I have to go back for my first period eighth graders to "what is a sentence." How are they supposed to be a multi-paragraphs papers soon?

Lots of work.

No comments: