Friday, May 25, 2007

Coming down to the wire

Less than a week left in Nome. It's bittersweet actually. I like where we are here. I'm respected as a teacher (or at least that's how I perceive it, so don't tell me otherwise), and as a member of the community. I taught sophomores this year. Did you know that, on the state HSGQE test that high school students must pass, they take it first in their sophomore year. 93% of the first-time sophomores passed the reading section this year, over 20% better. 75% passed the writing section, still better by double digits from last year because they raised the cut-off score. Those are darn good numbers.

One of the seniors this year, one of the best students/people in the whole community, came up to me last week and said she was thinking about changing her major in college to literature. "If I do, it would be because of you." She honestly said that. I almost broke down in tears.

Today is the last day of school. I will definitely miss this place. A part of me will always be here.

No comments: