Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Tying my hands

Now I seem to have a problem in teaching that seems to be epidemic. I think that students have realized that allegations, whether true or false, can crush a teacher.

I am spending my life trying to teach these kids. I really believe that that is what I am here for. I have made great strides with a great many of them. There are just a few who throw a wrench into all of our works. I am only biased against people that don't live up to their potential and don't do what they are supposed to do--like do their classwork while they are sitting in class anyway. There are 30+ students in each class. I can't be over the shoulder of every one of them. I have to believe that most can self-monitor. I have to believe that. If I don't believe that, nothing would get done. I would have to teach one student at a time.

If I didn't think I belonged here, I would get a higher degree and teach college English. There, if students don't show up to class or don't do their work, it is never my fault.

But I am here because I am supposed to be. Step up to the plate.

No comments: