Monday, February 20, 2006

Cool Guy Kurt Busiek

This is pretty cool.

While I was in the message boards at Comicon.com, I came across an entry by comic author Kurt Busiek (author of Red Tornado, Astro City). A lot of comics professionals come to the site every once in a while. Peter David (author of Hulk, Spider-Man, numerous Star Trek novels) actually responded to one of my posts not too long ago. Feel like I am rubbing elbows with some personal heroes.

So I wrote to Kurt Busiek. I had just read his 1984 series Red Tornado from DC Comics in the stack of comics I ordered through Mile High at the turn of the year. I thought I would just let him know that I really enjoyed it, even after all this time, that it still holds up.

He wrote me back. Not much, but recognition anyway. He sent me a link to a comic book series called Astro City that he has done. I had never heard of it before but I read the link, a 3 MB 15 page PDF file of a comic in the series. It was great. Very reminiscent of old EC Comics.

Just cool to have a guy respond to a reader. That shows character. So buy his stuff 'cause he is a cool guy.

(and for my own records, here are the emails all together:)

Hi there. I got your email off Comicon.com. I am a fan. I finally got to read your Red Tornado series from 1984. I ordered a bunch of old comics from Mile High Comics. I just wanted to say that I loved it. It was a great little mini-series. I was really surprised by how much I liked it. I know it was a long time ago, but I just wanted to let you know that it still holds up.

Thanks,
Matt Butcher

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

kdb

Read an ASTRO CITY story for FREE, at: http://www.dccomics.com/features/astro/

Hey that link you sent me for Astro City--that was fantastic. Like one of the old EC comics. Wow. Why have I never heard of this series? I am going to look for it now.

Great work!
Thanks,
Matt

Glad you liked it -- it's my main claim to fame, over the years. There are five trade paperback collections of it so far, and more on the way...!

kdb

No comments: