Saturday, May 21, 2005

Telling the Folks

I finally gave my parents the news today about us moving to Nome. They took it well. I can tell they were a little flabbergasted, but at least they didn't ask, "What're you, goofy?" as I thought they would.

I think that's the last of the coldness I've felt about the whole endeavor. Here I am, 32 years old, and I was worried about what my folks would say. Now I am getting excited again.

They both said how much they've wanted to visit Alaska anyway. Now they have an excuse. They both said, "You have to go where the jobs are." Yes, I do. I read in the Nome Nugget online, the Anchorage job fair this April only had 300 applicants for the 1200 available positions in Alaska. I will be getting a raise moving there, and a $1500 stipend for moving expenses (which will go easily). They actually took it quite calmly. They sounded excited and happy.

It's what I have to do. And if my family is with me, without any ties here in Washington really anyway (no house), this will be a grand adventure.

Nome/Beltz Jr. Sr. High School has about 300 students in it and 30 teachers. The elementary school has 400 students. I will be the junior high writing teacher, as officially announced in the Nome Nugget:

Nome Public Schools announce new hires
By Janet Ahmasuk
NPS Superintendent Stan Lujan announced new hire positions for the 2005-2006 school year and positions for the Summer Academy that have been filled. New Hire Positions filled so far for the 2005-06 school year are as follows: 1. Owen Carter, Principal, Nome-Beltz Jr./Sr. High School 2. Susan Martens, Business Education Teacher, Nome-Beltz Jr./Sr. High School 3. Joni Earp, PE Teacher, Nome Elementary School 4. Matt Butcher, Jr. High Writing Teacher, Nome-Beltz Jr./Sr. High School 5. Geraldine Ongtowasruk, NES Secretary 6. Christine Partridge, Temporary Speech Aide. Seven Positions filled for the Summer Academy:1. Bill Buchanan 2. Holly Ireno 3. Kelly Thrun 4. Colleen Johnson 5. Rebekah Tampleton 6. Lisa Wehde 7. Megan Brewer. Positions still open:•Jr. High Reading position•Temp Labor (2 positions)•Maintenance Systems Tech


So I am ready. We are currently working out all the logistics of getting there. We are going to buy a new car, a Ford Escape, and have it barged in to Nome. Alaska Airlines is probably our best bet for getting most of our stuff there, as they charge only $90 per 250 lbs. We are going to learn how to go minimalist in order to use less weight.

North to Alaska! Check it out at Nome's website.

No comments: