Saturday, May 14, 2005

I was wrong

I got my ass handed to me on one of my assignments. Apparently, I did not understand the story at all. Either I went through it too fast or just didn't get it. This is what the teacher responded to my post about "Elethia" by Alice Walker.

Matt, I want you to go back an take a look at what Walker writes when she talks about that restaurant. Whites were not trying to integrate the restaurant. If they had wanted to do that then the black people in town would have been allowed to eat there as equal patrons, rather than having to stand outside and look at a stuffed human, made to finally be subservient in death as he never was in life.

Wow. I couldn't have been more wrong. I actually hear her condescending tone in this one. I deserved it though. But at least I didn't post this, as another student did:

Are you saying that the statue of Uncle Alberts was the real person, stuffed like one stuffs a bird or bear!? I can't believe that would be true. Aren't there laws about burying people?

Now that's not getting it.

No comments: