Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Shakespeare Recitation

The greatest part of being a ninth grade English teacher is coming up with assignments.

Today is D-Day.

My students have had a month to memorize a speech they get to choose from Shakespeare (I have this packet from the National Endowment of the Arts that has some of his most widely known). For a month, we have been practicing, memorizing, and putting feeling into it.

Today is one of those days when I am nervous. If it doesn't go well, not only do the students do badly but I feel badly because, let's face it, it's my fault. It did not go badly.

First period is over now and I was impressed. I was so worried, but those that were here today just really did some shining of their own. One girl worked through her nervousness and really stepped up. One troublemaker kid did such an outstanding job that I may steer him to theater. One low skilled student made me feel as if I were watching the stage. One young man proclaimed, "Friends, Romans, countrymen!" in one of the best performances of that speech this English teacher has seen. One student put everything on the line and did a speech by Ophelia over Hamlet's madness, blubbering and all.

Such excellence makes me remember why I am here. It does work. High expectations can be met. Pandering to the lowest common denominator does nothing. I gave them a challenge, and they met it full on.

Let's see how third and fourth period do...

No comments: